BASC monitors scientific journals, environmental, policy and political alerts for the results of studies of relevance to shooting and conservation. Below are links to a selection of papers published in August 2020.
Please follow the instructions on the link below if you would like to subscribe to the BASC Live newsletter which contains our Science Matters update once a month.
- Revisiting an old question: Which predators eat eggs of ground-nesting birds in farmland landscapes?
- European bird declines: Do we need to rethink approaches to the management of abundant generalist predators?
- Anti-predator function of not covering eggs in the initial phase of nesting in Grey Partridge Perdix perdix: a field experiment
- Interspecific competition between two partridges in farmland landscapes.
- Direct evidence of poison-driven widespread population decline in a wild vertebrate
- Roads as a contributor to landscape-scale variation in bird communities
- Variation in abundances of common bird species associated with roads
- High prevalence of the neonicotinoid clothianidin in liver and plasma samples collected from gamebirds during autumn sowing
- Monitoring the world’s bird populations with community science data
- Mate fidelity improves survival and breeding propensity of a long-lived bird
- Winter feeding influences the cost of living in boreal passerines
- Deer damage: A review of repellents to reduce impacts worldwide
- Tuning oral-bait delivery strategies for red deer in Mediterranean ecosystems
- Dear deer? Maybe for now. People’s perception on red deer (Cervus elaphus) populations in Portugal
- Accumulation of diastereomers of anticoagulant rodenticides in wild boar from suburban areas: Implications for human consumers
- European rabbit hunting: Management changes and inertia in the governance system in a period of population fluctuations
- Surveillance and habitat diversity affect European brown hare (Lepus europaeus) density in protected breeding areas
- Population and distribution of beavers Castor fiber and Castor canadensis in Eurasia
- Human impact overrides bioclimatic drivers of red fox home range size globally
- Behavior test for seven-week old puppies (Canis familiaris): Inter-rater reliability and factors associated with test performance
- Efficacy of Dog Training With and Without Remote Electronic Collars vs. a Focus on Positive Reinforcement
- Short-term imepitoin treatment reduces stress level in dogs with generalized anxiety disorder
- The good, the bad and the ugly of COVID-19 lockdown effects on wildlife conservation: Insights from the first European locked down country
- Moving from intentions to actions for collecting hunting bag statistics at the European scale: some methodological insights
- Killing with kindness: when hunters want to let you know they care
- An evaluation of bird and bat mortality at wind turbines in the Northeastern United States
- Factors affecting carcass detection at wind farms using dogs and human searchers
- Assessing Geoavailability of Zinc, Copper, Nickel, Lead and Cadmium in Polluted Soils Using Short Sequential Extraction Scheme
- Investigating the implications of shifting baseline syndrome on conservation
- Tourist intentions to donate to non-lethal feral cat management at a potential natural World Heritage site in Japan