This course is designed for the sportsman or woman as part of their ongoing commitment to humane and responsible hunting of wild boar.
Zookeeper firearms course
This course is offered as a bespoke service to zoos and safari parks and can be tailored to meet specific needs.
It has been developed over several years and delivered to several zoos and safari parks across the UK.
What is covered
The course typically covers the following topics but can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each zoo/park.
- Safety and codes of practice
- Quarry identification
- European boar
- African game
- Asian game
- American game
- Rifles, shotguns and calibres
- Anatomy and killing criteria
- Dangerous game
- Large non-dangerous game
- Criteria for taking the shot
- Law – using a firearm in a public place
- Bullet selection
- Practical instruction on ranges
BASC trade membership is recommended
The benefits of BASC trade membership are:
- Two individual members.
- BASC has the UK’s only full-time firearms team, offering help and advice on all aspects of firearms law. The BASC team works to protect the lawful right to use all sporting guns.
- You have full access to all of our other specialist teams and departments.
- Free helplines.
For more information on the training and a quote based on your specific requirements please contact the training and education department on 01244 573 018.
The current guide to legislation for the use of firearms within zoos and parks can be found in the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) Health & Safety Guidelines for Zoos and Aquariums (page 104 onwards), here.
Under the Firearms Act 1968 and Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 all individuals that have access to and or will be using firearms (including remote immobilising equipment) or shotguns must hold a current firearms certificate and/or shotgun certificate.
In order to comply with the Secretary of State’s Standards of Modern Zoo Practice and the HSE Code of Practice on Managing Health and Safety in Zoos HSE in relation to the firearms/darting equipment provision (see appendix 1).