Zoo Keeper Firearms Course
Developed over several years and already delivered to a number of Zoos and Safari Parks the course typically covers the following topics, but can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each Zoo/Park.
- Safety & Codes of Practice
- Quarry Identification
- European Boar
- African game
- Asian Game
- American Game
- Rifles, Shotguns & Calibres
- Anatomy & Killing Criteria
- Dangerous Game
- Large Non Dangerous Game
- Criteria for taking the shot
- Law – Using a Firearm in a Public Place
- Bullet Selection
- Practical Instruction on Ranges
BASC trade membership is recommended.
Benefits of BASC trade membership are:
- BASC Trade membership includes two individual members
- BASC has the UK’s only full-time firearms team, offering help and advice on all aspects of firearms law. The BASC team works to protect the lawful right to use all sporting guns.
- You have full access to all of our other specialist teams and departments
- Free helplines
For more information on the training and a quote based on your specific requirements please contact the Training and Education Department on 01244 573018.
Current guide to legislation for the use of firearms within zoos and parks can be found in British and Irish association of Zoos and Aquariums (BIAZA) Guidelines for the Use of Firearms in Zoos and Safari Parks (Summary at Appendix 1), online here.
Under the Firearms Act 1968 and Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 all individuals that have access to and or will be using firearm (including remote immobilising equipment) or shot guns must hold current Firearms Certificates and or Shotgun Certificates.
In order to comply with the Secretary of State’s Standards of Modern Zoo Practice and the HSE Code of Practice on Managing Health & Safety in Zoos HSE in relation to the firearms/ darting equipment provision (see Appendix 1)
Shooting for the Future BASC and the GWCT will be delivering a one-day course on Saturday 1 June 2019 aimed at helping candidates to improve
Emergency First Aid at Work – EFAW Aim This 1½ day course will be theory and practical based ensuring that the practical element is realistic
BASC Legacy Funded Scholarship Programme 2020 BASC’s Legacy Funded Scholarship Programme aims to support and encourage those wishing to develop their knowledge in conservation, land management or