BASC monitors scientific journals, environmental, policy and political alerts for the results of studies of relevance to shooting and conservation. Below are links to a selection of papers published in April 2019.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to subscribe to Science Matters – BASC’s monthly research review.
- Responses of breeding waders to restoration of grouse management on a moor in South-West Scotland
- Parental behaviour and family proximity as key to gosling survival in Greylag Geese (Anser anser).
- Seasonal variation in mobbing behaviour of passerine birds.
- Hyperabundant herbivores limit habitat availability and influence nest site selection of Arctic-breeding birds.
- Family size dynamics in wintering geese.
- Multicentury perspective assessing the sustainability of the historical harvest of seaducks.
- Long-term decline of juvenile survival in German Red Kites.
- Survival probabilities of wintering Eurasian Woodcocks Scolopax rusticola in northern Spain reveal a direct link with hunting regimes.
- Ducks induce rapid and robust antibody responses than chickens at early time after intravenous infection with H9N2 avian influenza virus.
- Direct and indirect effects of ungulates on forest birds’ nesting failure? An experimental test with artificial nests.
- Spatial and temporal variation in mountain hare (Lepus timidus) abundance in relation to red grouse (Lagopus lagopus scotica) management in Scotland.
- Tick-borne pathogens in the European polecat, Mustela putorius and in attached Ixodes hexagonus ticks from Germany.
- First assessment of MHC diversity in wild Scottish red deer populations.
- Habitat loss over six decades accelerates regional and local biodiversity loss via changing landscape connectance.
- Pond management enhances the local abundance and species richness of farmland bird communities.
- Species-habitat networks: A tool to improve landscape management for conservation
- Rewilding complex ecosystems
- Regulations on lead ammunition adopted in Europe and evidence of compliance.
- Wildlife, human and environmental costs of using lead ammunition: An economic review and analysis.
- Availability and prices of non-lead gunshot cartridges in the European retail market.
- A Comprehensive Approach to Speciation of Lead and Its Contamination of Firing Range Soils: A Review.
- Cameras for conservation: wildlife photography and emotional engagement with biodiversity and nature.
- Nutrients in Saltmarsh Soils Are Weakly Related to those in Adjacent Coastal Waters.
- Nearfield erosion at the steart marshes (UK) managed realignment scheme following opening.