BASC monitors scientific journals, environmental, policy and political alerts for the results of studies of relevance to shooting and conservation. Below are links to a selection of papers published in September 2018.
Please email us at email@example.com if you would like to subscribe to Science Matters – BASC’s monthly research review.
- Habitat correlates of Eurasian Woodcock Scolopax rusticola abundance in a declining resident population.
- Home ranges and movements of resident graylag geese (Anser anser) in breeding and winter habitats in Bavaria, South Germany.
- Brood size is reduced by half in birds feeding on flutriafol-treated seeds below the recommended application rate.
- Red-legged partridges perceive the scent of predators and alarm scents of an avian heterospecific.
- Diversionary feeding as a means of reducing raptor predation at seabird breeding colonies.
- A comparative study of some haematological and biochemical parameters between two species from the Anatidae family within migration season.
- Pheasants learn five different binomial colour discriminations and retain the associations for at least 27 days.
- Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli in wild ungulates.
- The local value chain of hunted red deer meat: A scenario analysis based on a northern Italian case study
- Age-related changes in the carcass composition and meat quality of fallow deer (DAMA DAMA L.).
- Use of cast antlers to assess antler size variation in red deer populations: effects of mast seeding, climate and population features in Mediterranean environments.
- Habitat suitability modulates the response of wildlife to human recreation
- Do bridge construction activities influence birds using the River Mersey, in north west England?
- Monitoring contaminants, emerging infectious diseases and environmental change with raptors, and links to human health.
- Do birdwatchers buy the duck stamp.
- Rationale for the regulated transition to non-lead products in Canada: A policy discussion paper.
- Lead use in hunting and fishing—consequences to birdlife, humans, and the environment.