- 4 wild rabbit offal removed and jointed up
- Duck or Goose fat to cover
- 8 sprigs rosemary
- 4 bulbs garlic cut in half across the equator (skin on)
- 4 leek cut down through middle then sliced into half moons
- Fresh lasagne sheets (buy more than you think you need, you can freeze what you don’t use!)
- 100 g Butter (for the sauce)
- 3 tbsp plain flour (for the sauce)
- 1/2 pint full fat milk (for the sauce)
- 1 bay leaf (for the sauce)
- 1 onion (for the sauce)
- 5 cloves (for the sauce)
- 200 g parmasan cheese use 24 month aged parmesan as it has the best flavour. (for the sauce)
- Salt (for the sauce)
- pepper (for the sauce)
- Put the rabbit joints into a large dish and cover with the fat. Push in the rosemary and cover with grease-proof paper so it touches the fat. Put on a tight fitting lid and cook in the oven for 3-4 hours until meltingly tender.
- At the same time, put the garlic bulbs into aluminium foil parcels, drizzle with a little olive oil and scrunch them up so they are sealed. Cook for 1 hour in the oven.
- Gently sauté the leeks in butter until they are soft but not coloured. Cool.
- Make the béchamel sauce by heating the milk with a bay leaf and the onion skinned and studded with the cloves. Add a few whole black peppercorns. Melt the butter and stir in the flour, then cook for a couple of minutes on a low heat, stirring to prevent burning. Slowly add the milk through a sieve and stirring to combine. When all the milk has been added check the consistency. It should be runny enough to pour but thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. If too thick, add more milk until correct. Grate half the parmesan into the sauce. Cool with greaseproof touching the top to prevent a skin forming.
- When rabbit has cooled slightly, pick all the meat off the bones and discard the bones. Tear the meat into bite-sized pieces and mix through the two thirds of the sauce with the leeks. Squeeze the flesh from the garlic bulbs into a bowl and squash slightly before adding to the sauce as well. Season well.
- In your lasagne dish, start layering the meat with the pasta sheets, starting with the meat and finishing with a layer of pasta. Spread the remaining white sauce over the top and grate the remaining parmesan over the top.
- When ready to cook, put in pre-heated oven at 180c for 20 mins or until bubbling and golden. Serve with fresh salad leaves. Yum.