Dorset Green Shoots
When BASC was in discussion with the South West of England Regional Development Agency in 2005 they showed interest in our Green Shoots programme, especially with the success demonstrated by Green Shoots on the Somerset Levels. The result was they provided funds for BASC to run the survey phase for a project in Dorset in 2006. The survey went out to BASC members in the area and asked for details of where they were shooting and what species and habitats of conservation concern occurred there.
The survey generated some amazing results:
- 1,184 sq km of land surveyed
- This is equivalent to 43% of the land area of Dorset
- Over 17,000 new records of species and habitats created by BASC members
- 88% of members gave BASC permission to share the records with our partners
Many of the members who provided information to this survey are engaged BASC’s SITA Trust funded project on water vole conservation.
If you were part of the survey in Dorset, thank you. The data provided is being used to help conservation effort and in so doing promote the role of shooting sports in maintaining a healthy environment.
Conservation Grants Conservation grants provide funding for habitat creation, improvement and management. Funding is provided by the European Union and each country in the UK
Conservation About Contact us Advice News Projects Join BASC Green Shoots Green Shoots Mapping About Conservation The conservation team helps create a guaranteed future for
Green Shoots Mapping allows you to:
• help BASC promote the conservation benefits of shooting by providing your observations of wildlife
• mark up and save as many maps of your shooting land as you like which you can then print or email to colleagues