BASC bites – a monthly snap-shot of our work
The examples below give a snapshot of our most recent work.
A membership of over 150,000 know the value of BASC.
In December we:
- Gave a radio interview on BBC Radio Kent about young people and firearms licensing.
- Engaged with a PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland) senior firearms licensing manager on behalf of a BASC member.
- Attended meetings with the Metropolitan Police and the Police Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys Police regarding BASC members’ questions on firearms licensing.
- Attended rural crime partnership meetings and rural crime group meetings in Hampshire and Kent.
- Met with a Member of the Legislative Assembly to discuss firearms licensing delays and PSNI intentions to remove the paper application system.
- Issued a press release confirming Home Office launch date for new firearm and shotgun certificate application forms.
- Answered BASC members’ queries on subjects including visitor permits, expanding ammunition, rifle applications and delays in processing firearms certificates.
Firearms enquiries this month
Member’s offers and services
- Announced BASC members will receive complimentary entry to the next three Game Fairs.
- Launched a new ‘stand-alone’ insurance to shoots and estates to cover shoot cancellation due to avian influenza.
- Announced that BASC saved members almost £4 million on vehicle purchases during 2017.
- Issued a press release announcing that in 2017 more than 5,000 people tried shooting sports using the ST-2 simulator.
- Issued a press release announcing that during 2017 the BASC firearms team dealt with more than 10,000 calls and queries.
Politics and policy
Conservation and land management
- Introduced more than 30 young people to conservation and gamekeeping at a residential farm school in Gloucestershire.
- Held mink and grey squirrel trapping courses in north Wales.
- Wrote to West Sussex County Council and issued a press release, challenging their snaring policy.
- Issued a press release highlighting the publication of raptor persecution maps for England and Wales.
- Started work on a new conservation scheme in West Sussex.
Events, courses and meetings
- Held a thermal and night vision demonstration evening with Scott Country International and the British Shooting Show in Trochry, Perthshire.
- Supported the Barton on Humber Wildfowlers 50th anniversary clay shoot.
- Delivered DSC1 courses in Essex and DSC1 assessment only days in north Wales and Scotland.
- Held an Intermediate Deer Course at Baronscourt Estate in Northern Ireland.
- Ran a Novice Game Day at Kedleston Estate in Derbyshire.
- Gave briefings and demonstrations on shotgun safety and held Deer Carcass Butchery Courses in north Wales.
- Delivered Airgun Safe Shot Courses in south Wales.
- Took 22 novice BASC Young Shots members for a first shooting experience in South Yorkshire
- Ran Young Shots driven game days at Newton Rigg College, Cumbria, and Chillington Estate, Staffordshire.
- Ran a Young Shots introduction to wildfowling day with Leicestershire Wildfowlers.
- Held a BASC Ladies’ driven day at Glenample Estate in Scotland.
- Held basic metallic reloading courses at Baronscourt in Northern Ireland
- Attended the Novice Retriever Arfon Gundog Trial on Anglesey.
- Supported Stoneycairn Sports with their adult novice day at Driffield, East Yorkshire
- Launched BASC auctions and dinners in Newcastle and Lancashire.
- Prepared for upcoming Taste of Game events to be held in Lancashire and Cheshire.
- Attended the Staffordshire Wildlife Protection Group meeting on Cannock Chase.
- Visited BASC trade members in Cumbria.
- Attended Solway Wildfowlers meeting in Solway Firth.
- Supported a BASC-affiliated club with fundraising efforts.
- Delivered pheasant in Yorkshire as part of the ‘Game Changer project’.
- Provided pheasants in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire as part of the ‘Game changer project’.
- Prepared for the 2018 ‘Let’s Learn Moor project’ which aims to take 500 children on the moors in 2018.
- Delivered approximately 250 Taste of Game recipe leaflets to butchers in London.
- Announced the winner of the 2017 BASC Christmas card competition.
calls were handled by the membership team