BASC bites – a monthly snap-shot of our work
The examples below give a snapshot of our most recent work.
A membership of over 148,000 know the value of BASC.
or call 01244 573030
In March we:
- Argued against lead ban in response to Natural England consultation.
- Joined forces with police to get youngsters on the North York moors, helping with conservation tasks and learning about habitat and wildlife unique to the region.
- Helped Durham Police reduce licence waiting times.
- Made representation, and reached resolutions, with Police Service Northern Ireland’s Firearms and Explosives Branch regarding a number of member’s issues, e.g. warning letters, travelling to and from Scotland with air rifles, lengthy delays in processing firearms applications and intention to refuse letters.
- Highlighted how Leicestershire police finished towards the top of firearms licensing performance table.
- Provided assistance to a Police Constabulary on Crown Immunity in relation to military ranges.
- Attended Kent firearms stakeholders meeting.
- Engaged with Tourism Wales in Portmeirion to highlight the value of shooting in rural communities within the principality.
- Welcomed a 26 per cent fall in recorded bird of prey crimes in 2016 in Scotland.
- Reported on the Project Poacher app being downloaded more than 5,500 times.
- Highlighted how a Glorious Twelfth mission aided a ‘War of the Roses’ truce.
- Enabled all of the gamekeeping students at Borders College to develop their shotgun shooting skills with the BASC simulator.
- Helped gamekeeping students and lecturers at North Highland College develop their shotgun shooting skills with the BASC simulator.
- Aided members in finding shooting opportunities.
- Delivered shoot visits offering members advice and guidance on how to improve their shoot management.
- Reported on almost 100 gamekeepers gathering for a BASC event at Scone Palace.
- Announced Sparsholt College came out top in BASC college clay shoot.
- Reported on how people can improve both their shooting and shoot management skills by attending courses run by BASC and the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT).
- Advised members on a number of issues including – Larsen traps, air rifle energy limits, shoot risk assessments, certificate renewals, live catch squirrel traps, licences for young shots, rifle ammunition defects.
Firearms enquiries this month
Member’s offers and services
- Launched a new shoot cancellation insurance policy which also covers avian flu.
- Achieved total savings by members using the BASC car scheme of over £1,000,000 in the first nine weeks of 2017.
Politics and policy
- BASC complaint secured Conservative Party backing.
- Pledged to work with UK government on proposed legislation to protect legitimate shooting.
- Provided the secretariat for the All Party Parliamentary Group for Shooting and Conservation in Westminster.
- Welcomed findings of Scottish Government snaring review.
- Responded to Home Office consultation on firearms licence fees.
- Published new bird ‘flu’ advice’ on the BASC website and advised our members that a revised version of the document ‘Bird Flu and Gamebirds’ has been published by government and countryside and shooting organisations.
- Took part in an ornithologist’s expert panel meeting to discuss the current situation of avian influenza.
- Provided Friends of the Earth with facts on grouse.
- Attended a meeting of the Raptor Persecution Priority Delivery Group (RPPDG).
- Supported wildfowling clubs in the South West region with the Public Consultation concerning Review of Zonation and Codes of Conduct on the Exe Estuary.
Conservation and land management
- Appeared on Sky news educating the public on the necessity of grey squirrel control.
- Welcomed the publication of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee’s report on Forestry in England ‘Seeing the wood for the trees’.
- Reported on how Cubs and Scouts helped efforts to boost duck conservation by installing duck nesting tubes.
- Represented wildfowling interests at a series of meetings with the Findhorn Bay Local Nature Reserve Management Committee in Morayshire.
- Held a Mink Control course in Pontargothi, West Wales, in relation to the Green Shoots project.
- Attended Staffordshire Wildlife Protection Group meeting.
Record number of affiliated clubs visited by the Wildfowling team between January-December 2016
Events, courses and meetings
- Held a fundraising event organised by BASC North, which raised funds for the Young Shots scheme, conservation and community projects.
- Hosted and ran the gamekeeper classes at Crufts 2017 showcasing the different gundog breeds.
- Reported on German shorthaired pointer ‘Marsh’ winning best of Gamekeepers’ Classes at Crufts.
- Attended a Dorset stalking scheme event giving members the opportunities to go stalking and develop their skills.
- Gave a presentation to gamekeepers on game handling and meat marketing best practice at a St David’s Vets training day at Edinburgh University.
- Attended a BASC talk and stalk event at Lancaster University.
- Attended a rural networking event at Hampshire Rural Conference, Netley.
- BASC Ladies teamed up with the Oxford Gun Company to host ladies’ days.
- Presentation to Level 1 & Level 3 Game Management Students at Sparsholt Agricultural College, Hampshire.
- Ran DSC1 courses in Hampshire, Gloucestershire and Germany.
- Ran an Intermediate Deer course in Kent.
- Held a Ladies day at Lake Vyrnwy in Wales, for twenty participants.
- Ran a grey squirrel control course for local gamekeepers, and others, at Rhug Estate, Corwen, North Wales on 9 March.
- Attended Holts Auctioneers where our BASC Ladies team spent some time networking.
- Attended the London Fly Fishing Fair, promoting member benefits, discounts with Orvis UK, and our work with Angling Trust over cormorant licenses.
- Met the Wales culinary team at Llandrillo College to promote Taste of Game within Wales and establish links with the college to develop training courses, such as deer carcass butchery and preparing/cooking small game.
- Provided Rodenticide training in Glasgow.
- Held a Shotgun Safety Officers course in Gwent.
- Ran a Firearms Awareness training course in Kent.
- Ran a Shotgun Coaching Course in Mendip.
- Held a Taste of Game Supper for 100 people in the South East region.
- Attended Best Practice Days for Deer in Suffolk & Northants.
- Negotiated a Young Shot Game Day and simulated game days in the East of England.
- Currently in talks to increase the range and number of courses available to members in Northern Ireland.
- Provided shotgun coaching for 22 members of an Explorer Scout group in Edinburgh.
- Reported on how BASC will part-fund a new disturbance PhD starting at Bournemouth University.
- Highlighted that voting is now open for the BASC Council election.
- Published latest issues of Science Matters.