BASC bites – a monthly snap-shot of our work
The examples below give a snapshot of our most recent work.
A membership of over 148,000 know the value of BASC.
or call 01244 573030
In December we:
- Answered members’ enquiries on the new questionnaires being sent to all landowners, relating to the reintroduction of sporting rates in Scotland in 2017.
- Attended the steering group meeting of the Code of Good Shooting Practice.
- Attended a drop-in session at Valley Arms Ruthin, where people were able to question North Wales Police Firearms Enquiry Officers in regards to issues with Shotgun or Firearms Certificates.
- Met a range of stakeholders to discuss the future for wildfowling on Findhorn Bay in Moray. The introduction of a permit system, proposed by wildfowling interests, is widely seen as the way forward.
- Advised a member regarding some unusual interpretation of firearms legislation and guidance by his Firearms Enquiry Officer.
- Helped a member find a suitable gunsmith to carry out modifications to his rifle, including what questions to ask and what to be aware of when setting up the new trigger unit.
- Delivered a detailed coaching session for a member who privately booked the ST-2 simulator.
- Helped a member find someone to carry out a squirrel control programme (trapping) on his shoot.
- Supplied the ST-2 simulator to a BASC member on who had hired it for a private coaching session.
Firearms enquiries this month
Member’s offers and services
- Sent Fast Track messages to 99,111 members highlighting BASC’s complimentary entry tickets to the Game Fair 2017.
- Renegotiated the sponsorship deal with BSA Guns for the work we do for airgunners.
- Started work on launching a range of new BASC sales products for 2017.
- Ran a gundog photograph competition encouraging members to send pictures of their dogs working with the opportunity to win prizes.
- Drew winners for the 2016 ‘Member get a Member‘ competition. The winners came from North Wales.
- Planned a meeting with Countryman Fairs to discuss BASC’s presence at Kelmarsh Game Fair.
- Provided commercial insurance advice to a member who is setting up a small deerstalking business.
Politics and lobbying
- Attended and gave evidence to the Public Petitions Committee on a petition calling for shoot licensing for all game bird shooting in Scotland.
- Attended the annual All-Party Parliamentary Groups for Shooting and Conservation Game Dinner, cooked by leading game chef Jose Souto.
- Highlighted the role of recreational stalkers in in our written response to the Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) report on deer management in Scotland.
- Attended the Scottish Country Sports Tourism Group’s ‘Game for Growth’ strategy launch.
- Submitted a detailed response ahead of the Parliamentary hearing for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (EFRA) Committee inquiry into tourism’s role in supporting rural growth in England.
- Attended the Raptor Persecution Priority Delivery Group meeting in Bristol.
- Aided North Yorkshire Police’s work tackling rural and wildlife crime.
- Held a meeting with an MP.
- Took a group of MPs on a shoot.
Conservation and land management
- Worked closely with members of the Animal and Plant Health Agency to ensure members were kept informed on any developments on Avian Influenza.
- Chaired the Wales Squirrel Forum discussing the update of the Red Squirrel Conservation Plan, which BASC contributes towards through our Green Shoots in Wales Project.
- Visited Gloucestershire Wildfowlers to look at their conservation projects, discuss Young Shots and other activities of mutual interest.
- Collaborated with the Wales Ornithological Society to train volunteers to use the BirdTrack website, at BASC’s Head Office.
- Attended a Lancashire Wildfowlers Forum meeting and presented on the Wildfowling department’s operational plan.
Record number of affiliated clubs visited by the Wildfowling team between January-December 2016
Courses, shows and events
- Ran a Shotgun Safety Officer course in Berkshire.
- Held a BASC Ladies Shooting Competition at Bisley.
- Arranged a meeting with Yeaveley Estate to organise another Ladies Day.
- Hosted a Young Shots Game Day at Chillington Estate.
- Attended a BASC Ladies shooting meeting in the South West region.
- Ran a mink control course in relation to the Green Shoots project for people in the Pendine & Llanelli areas.
- Ran an Intermediate Deer Course in Norfolk.
- Ran a DSC1 in Essex and Sussex.
- Ran a squirrel control course at Glynllifon College for volunteers.