BASC bites – a monthly snap-shot of our work
The examples below give a snapshot of our most recent work.
A membership of over 150,000 know the value of BASC.
In April we:
- Announced that BASC will be launching an airgun working group with the RSPCA.
- Spoke a joint BASC/RSPCA conference in London.
- Gave an interview to Radio Oxford regarding airgun licensing.
- Assisted members in advance of their Firearms Enquiry Officer (FEO) interviews.
Firearms enquiries this month
Member’s offers and services
- Announced a new partnership with Gearmate that offers BASC members discounts off shooting accessories for SUVs and pick-ups.
- Announced a new partnership with Can-am that offers BASC members discounts on the Traxter side-by-side off road vehicle range.
- Presented the winner of the first ever BASC Ladies Star of Shooting award with her prize.
- Saved members approximately £315,000 on vehicle purchases.
worth over £20,000
Politics and policy
- Met members of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation to discuss action in response to the Home Office proposals around licensing.
- Issued a press release regarding the certificate renewal extension announced by the Home Office.
- Gave a statement in response to the Home Office review of licensing fees.
- Provided figures to Defra of BASC’s biodiversity spend for use in their biodiversity indicators report.
Conservation and land management
- Issued a press release urging BASC members and others who shoot to help reverse the decline of the UK breeding curlew population.
- Gave Norwich and District Wildfowlers Association a £30,000 Wildlife Habitat Trust loan, allowing the club to carry out conservation work on new land.
- Maintained pens, planted trees and installed nesting boxes at a Young Shots conservation and clay shoot at Dalton Hall in Cumbria.
Events, courses and meetings
- Launched ‘BASC member bring a Young Shot’ simulated game day in Derbyshire.
- Prepared to host the upcoming fundraising Countryside Clay Shoot in Cambridgeshire.
- Introduced more than 100 guests to shooting and raised funds for BASC Young Shots and North East Youth, at a fundraising dinner and auction in Northumberland.
- Introduced more than 100 people to shooting using the ST2 simulator at various events in Scotland.
- Attended CountryTastic at the Three Counties Showground in Worcestershire to promote BASC.
- Attended The Great Shires Game Fair with a BASC main stand and gundog scurries in Malvern, Worcestershire.
- Sponsored the Azerley clay shoot in North Yorkshire to raise money for the Yorkshire based charity Support Dogs.
- Attended a charity team flush competition at Wrennalls Hall Shooting Ground in Lancashire.
- Attended the Disabled Shooters Group Competition in Leicestershire.
- Ran Talking Stalking evenings in Gloucestershire and Dorchester in partnership with the British Deer Society.
- Delivered grey squirrel and safe shot training days in Scotland and Hertfordshire.
- Organised a Young Shots simulated game day at Grange Farm Leisure, Peterborough.
- Held a Young Shots Day at Plumpton College in East Sussex with clay pigeon and airgun target shooting activities, gundog handling and pigeon decoying instruction.
- Ran a BASC Ladies clay shooting day at Yeaveley Estate in Derbyshire for 30 attendees.
- Announced upcoming BASC Ladies introduction to deer stalking days which will be held in Cambridgeshire.
- Organised upcoming BASC Ladies deer butchery and carcass days in Cambridgeshire.
- Hosted a BASC Ladies clay shooting day at Lake Vyrnwy, Powys, Mid Wales.
- Held DSC1 courses in Wiltshire, Hampshire, Northumberland and Germany.
- Ran Pre-DSC1 courses in Norfolk, North Yorkshire, West Sussex and Devon.
- Ran a three day BASC shotgun coaching course in north Wales.
- Delivered firearms awareness courses in Derbyshire and West Sussex.
- Organised airgun instructor courses in Scotland.
- Chaired the Poaching Priority Delivery Group at the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) Headquarters in Warwickshire.
- Attended the Raptor Persecution Priority Delivery Group meeting in London.
- Attended a rural crime prevented event in Leicestershire.
- Attended the GWCT Game 2018 conference in Fordingbridge, Hampshire.
- Attended Newcastle Wildfowlers’ Association meeting in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
- Attended South Hampshire Wildfowlers’ Association annual general meeting in Hampshire.
- Held a meeting with North Yorkshire Moors Moorland Organisation in Northern England.
- Gave a talk on ospreys in Cumbria.
- Ran Range Days at Bisley Shooting Ground in Surrey.
- Opened the Isle of Arran stalking scheme bookings for the 2018/19 season.
calls were handled by the membership team