BASC has updated its UK-wide advice for conducting essential pest control during the Coronavirus restrictions:
In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, when making a decision on whether or not to conduct essential wildlife management you should consider:
- Is the landowner, or person responsible for giving permission, happy for you to be on the land in the current crisis?
- Can you maintain effective social distancing?
- Is the management involved absolutely essential?
- Is there a risk that your activities could result in the emergency services being called out? For example, someone reporting shots being fired.
- Should you inform the local police in advance that you are going out? If you do, secure the reference number for the call.
Everyone’s circumstances are different so individual decisions will have to be made, although the onus will be on remaining off the land. So-called ‘recreational shooting’ or taking clients shooting are ruled out at present.
Be aware that you should be able to stand up your decision if you are challenged by the enforcement authorities or you risk a fine and may put your certificate at risk.
BASC has published a number of FAQs around Coronavirus and shooting. These are on the dedicated Coronavirus page on our website.